Surgical Critical Care Research
Previously funded research
1) Protocol No 01-04-TL-242-001: A Pivotal, Multicenter, Multinational, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of TAK-242 in Adults with Severe Sepsis.
2) F7Trauma-1648: A Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel Group, Placebo Controlled Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Activated Recombinant Factor VII (rFVIIa/NovoSeven®/ Niastase®) in the Treatment of Refractory Bleeding in Severely Injured Trauma Patients.
3) A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2B study to assess the safety and efficacy effects of art-123 on subjects with sepsis and disseminated intravascular coagulation. Artisan Pharma, Inc.
4) A multinational, randomized, double blind study comparing the efficacy and safety of a prolonged AVE5026 prophylaxis with a standard enoxaparin prophylaxis in the prevention of venous thromboembolism in patients undergoing high risk abdominal surgery (PHASE III).
5) Randomized double blind trial of Tygicycline for skin and soft tissue infections. Pricipal site investigator. Wyeth.
6) Clinical Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of FS VH s/d 500-APR for Hemostasis in Subjects Undergoing Vascular Surgery. Baxter.
7) A Randomized, Open label, Efficacy and Safety Study of Octaplex and Fresh Frozen Plasma in Patients Under Vitamin K Antagonist Therapy with the need for Urgent Surgery or Invasive Procedures. Octapharma.
Currently funded research
1) Establishing the Ethical Framework for Critical Care Genetics.
Catherine Wittgen, M.D.,Principal Investigator. National Institutes of Health.
8) A randomized, double-blind, parallel group, multicenter phase IIIb study to compare ticagrelor with clopidogrel treatment on the risk of cardiovascular death, myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke in patients with established Peripheral Artery Disease EUCLID- Examining Use of tiCagreLor In paD).
Current Quality Improvement Projects
Steroid response to Sedation in the ICU.
Evaluation of Venous Thromboembolism prophylaxis initiatives in an academic medical center.